Wood Stair Manufacturing & Installation in Southern Georgian Bay
Georgian Stair is dedicated to offering an organized and efficient installation of your custom wood stairs. From our experience, we know how important it is to stay on top of deadlines during a construction project. The last thing you need is to wait around for your custom wood stairs to be installed. You can trust that our installers are reliable and professional; adhering to your specific project needs and schedule.
Call Georgian Stair today and request your free estimate.
- Southern Georgian Bay
- Orangeville (south)
- Muskoka (north)
- Owen Sound (west)
- Meaford (west)
- Barrier (east)
- Wasaga Beach (east)
- Midland (east)
- Surrounding areas
- Custom wood stairs
- Custom railing components
- Distribution of metal balusters
- Design consultations
- Stair and railing installations
We work with any wood (no metal stairs). We do not do any finishing (staining or clear coat on the stairs).
George Bezdan – metal balusters
There are essentially three components which make up a stair:
- Tread – The step of a stair that’s walked on and takes more of the wear. Its depth determines the steepness of a stair. Generally stairs replicate the flooring surface of the surrounding area.
- Stringer – The side piece that supports the stair and angles down from one level to the next. Stringers can be closed or open. When closed it is routed (or grooved out) to accept the treads, fitting tight to a wall. When open it is cut to allow for the treads to extend beyond its outside face, giving a more formal look to your stairs.
- Riser – The support for the tread. In most cases, the riser is a veneer covering plywood or particle board. In cases where the transfer of light is desired, stairs are constructed without rises (known as an open rise). The Ontario Building Code governs the width of a stair without a riser. Wider stairs without rises are allowed if thicker treads or additional stringers are utilised.
- Additional materials – Wedges, squeak blocks, screws, staples, and glue are other materials used in stairs. If a stair squeaks it may have to do with one of these components being improperly installed. Noise often comes from a stair when it rubs against the wall. Additional screws through the stringer into the stud framing will alleviate this.
Railings are made up of various components. At Georgian Stair, we manufacture nosing, shoe rail, filler strip, and a variety of styles of posts, handrails, and balusters.
In addition, we distribute turned wood spindles and posts and metal pickets. Components required for a railing installation are custom manufactured in our facility and cut and assembled on-site by an experienced installer.
In addition to the standard choices we have available, we are able to produce custom profiles and designs. Bring us a picture of what you like and chances are we can come close.
Railings often distinguish a property and should reflect the tastes of the owner. The time you invest thinking about this feature will be well spent.
The primary focus of the Georgian Stair is to produce quality custom stairs and railing components for your project. This process however often involves many other steps:
- PHONE CONSULTATION: Often a preliminary discussion on the phone will help everyone to better understand the scope of the project being considered. This step helps to reveal the style of stair and type of wood desired. Furthermore, it helps to determine timelines, location of project, and our ability to produce your requirements.
- SITE MEASUREMENT: While estimates can often be prepared from plans, a site measurement is usually necessary to finalise a quotation and always necessary to produce a quality product. We are always available to work with the contractor with respect to timelines, structural issues, and landing specs.
- DESIGN CONSULTATION: 25 years of experience in the design and construction of custom wood stairs and railings helps us to assist you in the final appearance of your project. Many of our customers know exactly what they want and are comfortable with their choices. Most however, are uncertain as to what they want and what is available. In addition to this website, on-site visits and our showroom are available to help you to clarify your decision.
- DELIVERY: Within the Southern Georgian Bay area, delivery of our product is included unless otherwise noted on the quotation. Deliveries to jobsites beyond a 30 minute radius of Collingwood may incur a delivery charge.